This page is used for registration for select special events only. All of the regularly scheduled classes and events that are on our Calendar are offered at a drop-in and first come, first serve basis, unless noted.
Learn More Series
A series of continuing education workshops for teachers and serious students of yoga. Each session will offer an opportunity to earn CEU’s (Continued Education Units) at a reasonable cost, with the added beneﬁt of keeping you close to home! The workshops themselves will bring high quality instruction, presented in a condensed, but easily digestible format. The teachers will be from our own dynamic yoga community, as well as teachers known to us regionally. The hope is that as teachers and students of yoga, we continue to grow and “learn more” together!
Yoga Anatomy Academy: Way of the Happy, Healthy, Hips
Saturday, February 6th 3-6pm
with Dr. Ariele Foster
Part lecture, part practice and part discussion, this workshop is part of a series of heart-centered, fun and meaningful anatomy workshops: Yoga Anatomy Academy is designed to elevate the anatomic and biomechanical understanding of yoga teachers and practitioners in a practical and functional way.
– Learn the bony structure as well as basic muscle, fascia and other soft tissue structures of the hips.
– Make sense of the biomechanics – the kinematics (visible movements) and arthrokinematics (joint level movements) in the context of yoga asana and functional movement
– Explore the role of the hips in hatha and vinyasa yoga, standing and seated poses
– Practice safety strategies for a variety of conditions, for a variety of bodies
– Preparing students and ourselves for true breakthroughs (physical, knowledge-based or other!)
– Walk away with new insights to apply to your own body and your teaching and keep your practice sustainable, and you health and happy.
This workshop is geared toward yoga teachers, but welcomes all dedicated yoga practitioners.
About Dr. Ariele Foster
Dr. Ariele Foster (PT, DPT, E-RYT 500) is a DC-based doctor of physical therapy, a yoga teacher, and anatomy faculty for yoga trainings and 90Monkeys.com online continuing education. She is the founder of Yoga Anatomy Academy, that bring applied anatomy to online and in-person trainings around the globe. She is also an environmentalist with a passion for intelligent, creative asana instruction, and an ambassador for KiraGrace clothing. Ariele grew up practicing with her grandmother (who still teaches yoga in her late 80s), started studying optimal health as a teenager, and began teaching yoga in 2001. Her interdisciplinary classes (trained in Kripalu, Anusara, Vinyasa, YogaWorks and Therapeutics) are enriched by biomechanical smarts, therapeutic know-how, great playlists and humor. Dr. Foster specializes in manual and orthopedic physical therapy, including myofascial release, and incorporates yoga into physical therapy rehabilitation plans with an eye on functional movement and whole body medicine. She lives and treats patients in Washington, DC as well as leads retreats around the world (including Lake Atitlan, Guatemala in February 2016).
Cost $45 No Refunds. Pre-registration required by 1/31. $50 after.