What is Y12SR?
Y12SR (Yoga of 12-Step Recovery) “connects the dots” between the ancient wisdom of yoga, the practical tools of 12-step programs, and the latest research on trauma healing and neurobiology. As part of a holistic recovery program, it works in tandem with traditional treatment to address the physical, mental and spiritual disease of addiction.
The program serves people recovering from all manifestations of addiction, from behavioral addictions to substance abuse – creating a safe place on the mat where trauma can be released. It also supports those who are impacted by a loved one’s addiction. Weekly meetings led by certified Y12SR leaders are available in community settings across the United States. Y12SR is also offered as an adjunctive therapy in a growing number of addiction recovery treatment centers.
“The 12 Step program and Yoga connect us with ourselves, with others, with Spirit. The practices and principles of these two united paths return us to wholeness- and create community, purpose, joy, and freedom. This is the treasure offered to us in Y12SR.”
– PYR Cofounder and Y12SR Leadership Trainer, Dana Walters
3 Elements to Y12SR Classes:
- Open to anyone dealing with their own maladaptive behavior or affected by the maladaptive behavior of others. This is an open and inclusive group. “All A’s are welcome.”
- The 12-step based discussion/group sharing circle is followed by an intentional, themed meditations and/or breathwork and yoga practice.
- The asana practice offered is “yoga neutral”; these classes are always accessible for every body.
PYR’s Y12SR Offerings:
- Every Tuesday at 5:30pm at Project Yoga Richmond Studio
- Open to the community, drop-in, and pay-what-you-can
- Fridays at Chesterfield County Jail
- Offered to residents enrolled in the Bridge program
- The Bridge program operates as a collaboration of services between the Sheriff’s Office and Chesterfield Mental Health Support Services. Bridge is a program for court-involved individuals in recovery; the program is strictly voluntary and not court-ordered.
- The purpose of Bridge is to offer its participants a variety of dynamic programming to address and understand addiction and trauma and to facilitate sustainable, skill-based tools and techniques in breaking destructive habits and developing a sense of empowerment.
- Upcoming Workshop with Y12SR Founder, Nikki Myers
- Nov 3- Nov 5
- Using lecture, discussion, experiential exercises and the tools of yoga (asana, pranayama, meditation, chanting, etc.) this 3-day intensive examines the root of codependency and presents tools for healing through a process of awareness, self-love and creativity. Space is limited, save your spot today!