Who would have thought that a life changing organization would have started through a Facebook post? But that is exactly how Project Yoga Richmond emerged. The idea grew from the beloved Arlene Bjork’s desire to take yoga to the people in their communities and make it accessible to everyone who wanted it. It wasn’t another yoga studio, exactly; it was a place for community, with yoga at its core. After Arlene passed away in 2009, a group of her students came together and reflected on her life and teachings. Then, PYR Co-Founder Jonathan “J” Miles put his idea into words and posted on Facebook. 6 years later, Project Yoga Richmond is thriving and lives are changing.
While social media has its point to be cautious of, we know how powerful it can be. There are a lot of ways you can support your community through Project Yoga Richmond. Some choose to support us through practicing at our pay-what-you-can studio. Some volunteer. Some donate. In addition to these and the many other ways that you make our community stronger, we want to highlight one of the simplest, yet most powerful ways that you can help us increase access to yoga in the Greater Richmond region. Social sharing.
Here are a few simple ways you can increase access to yoga from the comfort of your couch through social media!
1. Like our Facebook page and invite your friends to do the same
- The more people that like and follow our Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn pages, the more people we reach! The more people we reach, the more people we can serve!
- From 2016 to 2017 we went from 4,726 Facebook followers to over 5,850! Thanks to this increase we were able to reach over 1,000 new people that we were able to reach and share the benefits of yoga with! We also provided 19,999 yoga experiences in 2016, our highest number yet!
2. Sign up for our newsletter
- We promise to respect your privacy and to provide engaging content, plus then you get the inside scoop on what is happening in our community! You can sign up now by clicking here! (Sign up is at the bottom of the page)
3. Like, comment, and share the content on our Facebook, Instagram, and email that you enjoy!
- The more you like, share, and comment on our posts, the more others will see it as well. The more engagement a post receives, the more people it will reach! Plus this shows us what you like so we can create more of the information you want to see!
4. Post your own pictures at our studio and events on your own social media accounts!
- Don’t forget to tag us! @projectyogarichmond
5. Participate in social media challenges
- Follow our Instagram account and participate in challenges to win PYR prizes as your increase access to yoga!!
6. Invite friends to events that are interesting to you
- The more, the merrier! Share events and workshops with friends and encourage them to come by inviting them on Facebook. This also creates ways for you to connect with people you care about at our studio as you support your community!
8. Share with friends in person about Project Yoga Richmond
- Nothing beats hearing about something special from someone you care about. Inspire others by sharing your experience with them!
Feel free to participate and share in whatever ways you feel best for you. Thank you for all that you do to support us as we increase access to yoga. We are constantly reminded of the many ways in which you bring yoga to your community through your service and dedication to Project Yoga Richmond.